Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Stop 2 (Part 1): Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

Sunday morning, after recovering from the food poisoning and hitting up a local ward, we headed off to another country! That sounds so cool, but really it was only an hour a way. No big deal. The ward met in a REAL church building! With a cultural hall and everything!!! Our local church building is an old dance hall that Elvis Presley used to perform at, true story. So, to see a real church building in Germany, was a treat! 

Neat, huh? (Okay, I know it seems totally lame that I got excited about a church building! But, seriously ... you miss the simple things in life when you go without them!) 


We also saw this really cool old train ... it reminded me of, 'The Polar Express'. 



 Okay, for reals now ... 

Luxembourg. 

Our first stop in Luxembourg was the American Cemetery they have there for the American soldiers killed during WWII. I loved it. There was a pretty somber feeling there. I couldn't help but feel complete respect for the hundreds and hundreds of men (and women) who gave their lives for America. If you're ever in the vicinity of Luxembourg, this is definitely worth the stop. 



This tower is there right as you walk in, it's technically the chapel with a little area inside honoring those buried here. 



These were all the names of the guys who couldn't be identified but, they were still buried in the cemetery. 



The names with the rosettes next to them are the guys they have since identified. 



On this cross, on the right-hand side, you can see a little pebble. Each time someone comes to visit a particular headstone, they place a pebble on it. Some of the crosses had 10+ pebbles. I wish I had gotten a good picture of the Jewish headstones. They had the star of David instead of a cross. 


So humbling. 


Here Brad is explaining to Kason why there are so many people buried here. 



(I don't know this guy, I just really liked the flowers...) 


General Patton is buried here! 


Humbled serviceman: 


Don't let these blue skies and sunshine fool ya ... it was FUH-REEZING there. And I let the sunshine fool me so I didn't bring Kason's big coat. He was stuck with a hoodie. Whoops. He was freezing all day. 



In the cemetery there were also a few medal of honor recipients and one female. Pretty cool! It was one of the highlights of the whole trip for me! I really loved this stop! 

No comments:

Post a Comment