Thursday, January 24, 2013

Stop 2: Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

After the cemetery we headed into Luxembourg. I instantly fell in love with the city. Luxembourg is a beautiful, old city. It sits up on high cliffs and overlooks valleys and rivers. The people there were also incredibly friendly. If it wasn't absolutely freezing, I think we would have enjoyed the day a little bit more than we did. 

Want a little Luxembourg history? I know you do. So, Luxembourg City is actually a Grand Duchy, and the only remaining Grand Duchy in the world, at that. I couldn't tell you who the Grand Duke or Duchess is but, I did see their house (er, palace)! Luxembourg is also one of the top three richest countries in the world. You could tell. Everything (seriously, everything) was beautiful. If I had a lot, a lot of Euro ... I would live in Luxembourg. Between the friendly people, getting to hear them all speak French, and the beautiful city - I would be in heaven living there! Speaking of French, I have never heard it in person (and technically, I think they speak Luxembourgish ... but it sounded pretty much like French) and golly, French is a beautiful language! 

Those blue skies really are deceiving ... 


At first glance, we really did think that was an Angel Moroni. Seriously! But, apparently it's the 'Gella Fra' and instead of a trumpet she is holding a wreath to symbolize victory. It was taken down during the reign of the Nazi's but, has since been put back up as a WWII memorial. 


This the Cathedral Notre Dame. It was massive. Built between 1613-1618 by Jesuits. 





Next, we found the Grand Ducal Palace! I guess if you go during July & August, while the family is away on vacation, you can tour the palace. The palace was beautiful and the street was the nicest cobblestone I have ever seen. You couldn't help but wonder how these people get to live every day ... I want to live here! But, I will also settle for my humble life as an Army Wife & Homemaker ... (I can still dream, right?) 



Their crest: 



The Rapunzel Tower:



These are the casemate blocks. It's part of the old fortress from the 18th century. There are all sorts of tunnels inside of them, and you can go walk around but, due to a grumpy little person, we decided against that. 


See? Isn't it a beautiful city!?! That church there is actually the old Neumunster Abbey. 




We then walked through old town and it was adorable! All the buildings were so cute. I love the colors in Europe. They aren't boring, that's for sure. 



As we were trying to find a place to get some food, we stumbled across:

A CHRISTMAS MARKET!

Neat, right? So, we ate some of the yummy vendor food, bought a Market mug and also found some French Onion Soup for the dad of the family. It was nice to sit down and thaw out while he enjoyed his 10 euro bowl of soup. (Luxembourg is pricey...)



I think this is a hotel, but we saw it as we were leaving and I loved it and thought it looked so charming with the lights all lit up and the light posts. 


And this? I have NO clue what it is but, it reminded me of Harry Potter so ... of course I had to take a picture of it! 


Luxembourg gets 10 stars in my book. Such a wonderful little town with lots of charm and character! After Luxembourg, we headed back to home base and ate at Macaroni Grille. (Not at satisfying at Chili's was Friday night but, it fed us.) 

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute place! This trip is fun. And Brad really loves his French Onion soup! :)

    ReplyDelete