Sunday, January 6, 2013

Guteneck Christmas Market

Even though Christmas is long gone, I realized I still have one post to write about the holiday! 

The Saturday before Christmas, Brad was at work but, the little man and I didn't just want to sit at home all day so ... we headed off for our last chance of a Christmas Market for the season. We had heard about a market not far from us called, Schloss Guteneck (don't ask me how it's pronounced ...) So, we headed there, just me and the little guy!

We got there right as it opened and it was pretty small so we were done in less than two hours, which was fine with me because it was cold & muddy! BUT ... it was also really, really neat. This Christmas Market has a "medieval" theme. All the workers are dressed up in shining armor and there are men walking around playing mandora's. It was pretty neat.


The nice thing about this market is: 
A) It wasn't very busy AT ALL (I wasn't having to elbow people just to see the booths)
B) They had warmth, everywhere!!



The food was incredibly delicious, too. This was pork, rotating over the fire, seasoned with 7 different German spices. I could have eaten a whole pork knuckle ... but we opted for a small sandwich instead. (My mouth is watering right now, just thinking about this stuff ... it's definitely worth the 5000 mile trip from America to try some.)


I loved the feel of this market & there was way more to look at than just goodies to buy ... they did a show with these little guys but, with it being in German, I catch about every 10th word and just give up listening. Still pretty neat!


This market was probably the "cutest" one I have been to, with the fire pits and the snow and the lights all over ... magical, I tell ya! 





Some more of the medieval flare ... 

(Kason asked if we could buy this ... how awesome would that be!? Too bad it was for looks only!)


This lady was kind of ..... quirky. She was walking around on stilts, handing out "wishes" to the kids. The wishes were just a little flower, sequin that she gave. Whatever works ... 


Before we left, we had to check out the animals. The ponies were SO cute -- so of course, Kason had to have a ride. Besides his medieval sling shot, I think it was the highlight of the trip for him. 

(Kason was so afraid the camel was going to bite him ... he kept his distance!)






2 comments:

  1. We went in the evening, and it was pretty busy. I should have followed your example and gone in the morning. Looks like super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE all of your Christmas posts! I totally think it looks 'magical'! And I have your darling Christmas card hanging on the fridge:) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete