Friday, October 19, 2012

When in Rome: Part II

The second day we were in Rome, we went to the Vatican City. They are kind of strict on their rules there so I always felt like I was being watched like a hawk but, thankfully, everyone else was too. If you ever go to the Vatican, make sure you reserve your spot online. They only let so many people in at a time and if they're busy, without a reservation, you could end up waiting for a couple hours. If you happen to miss your reserved time ... and you ask really nicely, they'll probably let you skip the "non-reserved" line anyways. {Not that I would know that from experience or anything ...} 


This was in the courtyard before you start the tour of the museum. I saw a lady taking a picture of her son sitting on one of those lions you see in the background ... she got yelled at and then the guard made her delete the picture. I kid you not. They're intense. 


I am not really sure what it is, but it seemed really out of place. 


This is the Laocoon. It depicts the Greek character, Laocoon and his two sons being attacked by snakes sent by the enemies to attack them. 


The famous 'Belvedere Torso'


{I think Kason was kind of bored in the Vatican ... I would not take him (or any children) to Rome again}



There was sooooo much more to see between the beginning of the museum and the Sistine Chapel but, I'm not going to bore you with all the pictures I took, especially since I don't remember what half of them were of. {Before we went, Brad told me: "Just fill up your entire memory card when you go to the Vatican." So, I did just that, except I can't remember the half of what I took pictures of. Ha. Whoops}.

This was cool though, the Sala Rotonda was dedicated to the ancient gods. The bronze statue there in the middle ... that's Hercules. 


Finally, after walking for at least an hour, like a herd of cattle, and after passing tapestries, and paintings, and rooms filled with ancient statues and admiring the intricate details of every single thing ... you make it to the Sistine Chapel. It was gorgeous. Kason kept asking how long it took him to paint it all ... I wish I had known the answer because I am sure it wasn't a simple task. Kason loves to draw so I think this was especially neat for him to see ancient artwork. 

You're not supposed to take pictures in the Chapel but, I'm not gonna go to Rome and skimp on the proof that I was there! Thankfully, everyone else had the same mindset. The guard there was kind of scary though ... he would shout, "SILENCE! SILENCE! Do not talk in the chapel. Do not sit down. Do not take pictures. Put your cameras and your phones away. NOW!!!" Then he would walk around forcing people to stand up and put their cameras away. His efforts only last a minute or two before people "forgot" what he said so, he would go again ... "SILENCE!" ... oh man, it was great entertainment. 


On the bottom of this one, you can kind of see the 'Underworld' ... I should have gotten a better picture of it. 


Creation of Adam ... 



It was gorgeous. I loved getting to see that! 

This quarter mile hallway was the only way out ... it was long and boring. But a quarter mile!? That's a crazy long hallway! 


Afterwards we found some food. This nutella guy was SO nice to Kason. He gave him a spoon full of nutella and was joking with him. Kason decided he wanted a nutella crepe. People in Italy absolutely adored Kason. They were constantly joking with him or trying to talk to him. At one point, we passed an old man and Kason was whistling and this old Italian just starting walking and whistling right alongside Kason. Stuff like that made me chuckle. 



A view of St. Peter's Basilica. 


The famous Vatican staircase ... 


St. Peter's Square: 



Inside, Kason and I were pretty burnt out so, we sat and relaxed while we waited for my dad to finish wandering the basilica. It really was a gorgeous building ... and supposedly St. Peter (the apostle of Christ) is buried under the dome here. Although, I'm not sure it has ever been proven but, an interesting fact. 





Outside they had these cool Swiss guards. I liked their outfits ... 



I am certain there is SO much history that I have missed but, I am sure I will be going back with Brad at some point in our lives. {Rome is his #1 city to visit...uh, whoops} Plus, Brad knows the history, he can help this little lady out. 

On our way back to the metro, it started pouring rain. We're talking, buckets and buckets {and buckets} of rain and we had a pretty long ways to walk. So, we were drenched. It was not enjoyable whatsoever. Supposedly, it never rains in Rome -- unless of course we're visiting. 

After the rain decided to stop: 

Julius Ceasar



Next up: we head to Florence!

1 comment:

  1. Whew! Yes it does seem like a busy place! We were looking at the pictures and Canon kept saying "It's KASON!" Ha ha. So much to see there, and I think I'm glad we'll be going sans kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete