Friday, October 19, 2012

When in Rome: Part I

Earlier this month my dad came to visit. And we went to Italy!! He really wanted to go to Rome & Florence so, that's what we did. I have never really had a major desire to go to Rome but, I mean the Colosseum is there, it's gotta be a cool city right?

Well ... I will tell you I didn't love Rome. It wasn't my favorite city. It was loud, dirty, busy, hot, humid, and the people were kinda rude. Plus, you're always on the look out for pick-pockets. We walked a lot. I need to buy a pedometer for all the Europe trips, I am sure we walked plenty of miles each day. Rome is huge and kind of confusing. I am horrible at reading a map so, we got lost a few times. Rome's transportation isn't the most reliable so we were always waiting for the next bus, or train, or metro that was 15+ minutes delayed. Our apartment was about 30 minutes out of the city and it made for a headache every time we needed to get somewhere and we couldn't because the bus driver decided not to show up for his route that day. Lastly, I am not sure I truly appreciate the history in Rome. I know that people lived there a really long time ago, but I couldn't tell you how they tied into History. {I can't believe I just admitted that.} Ok, I know a little, but probably not what I should. 

Now ... Rome is gorgeous. The buildings are amazing and realizing/learning the history while there, was awesome. The food was phenomenal and the gelato was fantastic! And vacations are always fun, discovering new places and having new experiences. I got a kick out of watching the Italians. They are very opinionated and will voice their opinion, whenever, wherever and to whomever they want. You'll see them shouting at people across the street. At the market. I even saw an old lady chew out one of the street vendors, she seemed pretty disgraced at him. That was entertaining. But, at the end of this trip I was just SO ready to be home because each day was utterly exhausting. 

Now that all of that is said ... here we go:

THE COLOSSEUM

Despite the hundreds of people touring the Colosseum that day, there was sort of a somber feel to the Colosseum. The fact that men would come here and fight to their death seems to have left a feeling of depression, even after thousands years. The structure is amazing and the fact that is was built "brick by brick, by hand" (as Kason would say) absolutely blew me away. It is HUGE. There was so much to imagine for the life it held when it was filled with the hustle and bustle of spectators. 




This part used to be covered by the "fighting floor". These are the chambers that the slaves, fighters, animals, etc. were all kept in until it was their time to fight. 







This is the Arch of Constantine. It was built in 312 (Dedicated in 315). It's a Triumphal Arch built for Constantine I when he defeated Maxentius in 312. Can you imagine somebody building you an Arch just because you won a battle? Those are some dedicated fans! 


This guy was carved out of marble and sits in the church of Santa Maria. Rumor has it, it most likely portrays the ancient god, Tiber (god of the river). I guess starting back in the Middle Ages, they had a tall-tale that Mr. Bocca here would bite off your hand if you were to tell a lie while your hand was in his mouth. Kason believed the tall-tale and kept saying, "I'm not gonna lie! I'm not gonna lie!" This is called the Bocca della Verita. 


These are just a couple shots of Palatine Hill. This is one of the most ancient areas of Rome. We're talking BC time period. 



This is one of the Piazza's (Plaza's) in Rome ... I can't remember the name, and this was taken right after I slipped on the stairs. Rome wasn't kind to me. 


This is a monument. Nothing is Rome is little or done half-heartedly. They go big, or go home. Anyway, Altare della Patria was built in the early 1900's to honor Victor Emmanuel, who was the the king when Italy became unified. {I like the Italian flag fabricated by the flowers.}


Just like with any European city ... the views were amazing from up top. 



On our way to the next exciting sight ... we had to recharge with some gelato. I am pretty sure we had gelato about twice a day while we were there. I usually got a fruit flavor ... Kason usually got chocolate. We're so boring. 


Piazza Navona ...

Before the fountains were added, the ancient Romans used to come to this plaza to watch the games so, it used to be called Circus Agonalis (competition arena). But now, it's been adorned with two fountains. The Fountain of the Four Rivers being built in 1651.

 

And, La Fontana del Moro built in the 1500's. 


The Pantheon (a consecrated temple for all the gods) was amazing. It seems to be squeezed into the tiny plaza surrounded by restaurants and apartments. The plaza is bursting at the seams with all the people and this massive building. Man, can you imagine your kitchen window overlooking the Pantheon? It was pretty impressive. One of the waiters in the square jokingly tried to get me to buy Kason a beer ... um, really? I know your legal drinking age is low but, c'mon! We had a good laugh. 






{the columns out front were massive!} 


These cars were everywhere in Italy. Kason decided he wants one. On the topic of driving in Rome ... never, ever, ever will I drive in Italy. Those folks are crazy! The rumors are all true -- they drive down the middle of the road, they're constantly honking at each other, they double park. At the stop lights, you'll have 4 or 5 cars that all want to go straight (even though there are no lines on the road) so, who ever guns it the fastest is in the lead. When you want to walk across a street -- it doesn't matter if there's a crosswalk, or heck, even if there is a cross walk, but the signal is telling you not to walk -- you cross anyway. It doesn't matter if a taxi, or scooter or bus is coming right at you, you just cross your fingers they're going to stop for you. Pure insanity. 


The Trevi Fountain ... this was pretty neat to see despite the insane crowds. {By this point, I was so done with other people and large groups of them at that} Kason threw in his coin, which means {by legend} that he will someday return to Rome. Apparently an average of 3,000 euros are thrown in each day!! 



Isn't this little cafe super cute? 


The Spanish Steps are the widest staircase in Europe. I always hear stories of how people like to enjoy the evening sitting here, especially as a local. Well ... if I were a local, I would stay far away from this place. There were SO many people, you couldn't even see the stairs. But hey -- we've sat on 'em! 



{so many stinkin' people. it was worse than Disneyland!}



This was in Piazza Popolo. I only took the picture to prove that we were there because at this point, I just wanted to sleep. Rome is exhausting. So here you go: Piazza Popolo proof. 


No comments:

Post a Comment