Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Salzburg: Day 4

On our last day in Austria I really wanted to go see the Schloss Hellbrunn. It's a huge mansion outside of the city a little ways. It was built back in the early 1600's by a Prince-Archbishop of Salzburg. He apparently only built it for use during the day for hosting parties and whatnot because there aren't even any bedrooms in his mansion. Anyway ... that's not why I wanted to see it. The original gazebo that was used in the 'Sound of Music' is now there! I was toying with the idea of going because I didn't know if we would have time and I didn't really want to pay 25 euro just to see a gazebo and excuses, excuses, excuses. Then, my wonderful husband said: "Babe, you've seen all the other 'Sound of Music' sights, why would you leave this last one out? We're going."

{Seriously, what did I do to deserve him? He's my favorite.}

So, we did just that. After some seriously horrible google map directions, and getting lost in about 20 different directions, we finally pulled up to Schloss Hellbrunn!! We saw a ticket booth and went to buy tickets. We then realized we had bought tickets for a tour and thought, Well, you must only be able to see the house and the grounds with the tour! Nope ... wrong. We ended up paying for the 'Trick Water Fountain' tour ... the house and most of the grounds (INCLUDING the gazebo) are absolutely free. Yeah ... whoops. BUT ... I will say that the 25 Euro we paid for the tour was absolutely, 100% worth it. We loved it! 

Apparently this arch-bishop guy, had an awesome sense of humor, especially considering these gardens were made in the 1600's. He created trick fountains all over his garden to surprise his guests when they least expected it. He did it all by gravity and pressure. It was awesome. Very intuitive and a lot of fun. (We highly suggest the tour if you ever make it to Salzburg, although, prepare to get wet.) 

These were taken 1. from the apartment ... that mountain reminds me of the Grinch Mountain. 2. on our drive to the mansion, we saw the castle. So, naturally I had to take another picture! Because 14 pictures of the building isn't enough ... 



Schloss Hellbrunn: 

This is where his guests would sit to have drinks and socialize and then, the waterworks would start. It's pretty comical. I love it. 



The gardens were amazing. Everything was so detailed and manicured. 




Brad and I decided we want a house exactly like this ... with the extensive gardens & possibly the trick fountains. {Don't worry, you'll all be invited to visit} At this particular spot Brad was apparently the targeted victim. He was standing in a room and got sprayed ... then he walked outside and the fountains starting shooting over him. When he moved just 5 feet to the left, an elk on the side of the building starting spraying him from it's antlers. It was hilarious. I wish I had been able to get a video of it ... 


This part was super cool ... I couldn't believe the craftsmanship of this. It was like a little wooden puppet show. The animations moved and danced ... all by air pressure. So cool! 



This was also really cool -- this little cone was sitting on top of a geyser and the water pressure shot it straight up in the air! 


And ... this was the only way to get out of there ... great fun I tell ya! 


The rest of the grounds were equally impressive. There were statues and acres of land scattered with ponds and flowers. Beautiful. There is apparently an amazing zoo on the grounds but we didn't have time to go to it. 


These flower gardens were awesome!! 


There was also a playground, equipped with a zip line!!


And!! The whole purpose of the trip to the mansion ...

THE GAZEBO!

It was pretty awesome to see the final thing of the 'Sound of Music' sights.



{kason is dancing. they do it in the movie, so why not. kason loves 'Sound of Music' ... makes me so proud!}




And finally ... the house itself. Crazy that he never even slept here ... I wish I could have a party house like this! {Oh wait ... we're going to someday, remember?} 


After this, we hurried back into Salzburg because my dad was coming in on the train and we needed to pick him up and give him a quick tour of the town.

This was taken on the drive to the bahnhof. 
Nonnberg Abbey: 


Kason asked at one point: "Why is that lady ALL over this town!? I don't get it!" {haha}


It was nice to be in the center of town again because this time we actually DID go into the Cathedral (not a museum at all) and I am so glad we did. It was gorgeous!!




In the basement, there were these catacombs. All sorts of princes and I am sure other famous people were buried here. 


They also had these fun little guys ... not quite sure the purpose behind them but, neat nonetheless. 



One last final picture of that castle...I promise it's the last one. 
{I don't think I really realized how many pictures of the castle I took until I got home.}


We absolutely loved this city. I think it's a must see if you're going to be in Europe. I am so glad we decided to go here for our "relaxing" weekend because it was exactly what the doctor ordered and what our family needed. So many cities in Europe are exhausting and loud and not relaxing at all but, Salzburg was exactly the opposite. 


No comments:

Post a Comment