Monday, July 22, 2013

Gibraltar {June 5}

Since we went to Spain well over a month ago, well closer to 2 months ago, I think its about time I finished up these Spain posts! 

So, Gibraltar is actually part of Great Britain - they use the British Pound as currency, speak English and serve Brit food. Why are they part of Spain? I have no idea ... go ask your mother. I'm sure there's a good reason they've held on to that 3 mile by 1 mile piece of land but I didn't do enough research to remember why. So, there you have it. When we parked (on the Spain side) I felt like I was in Tijuana, Mexico. It was kinda ghetto so I made sure Brad stayed close. We had to walk through customs to get into Gibraltar and honestly ... Gibraltar wasn't much of an improvement on the flip-side. 


We walked into the city and went straight to the 'Rock of Gibraltar'. We rode the cable car up to the top and then walked down the rock. They had these signs warning you about the crazy monkeys that live on the rock. And seriously, they go crazy over plastic bags, we saw one attack a stroller than had a bag in the bottom. 



This picture is hilarious to me. Kason had a bad allergy attack that morning so he wore his glasses most of the day and Brad is well ... just being Brad. 


Here we all are at the top of the rock ... 



Check out those views!!!


Oh, and look - there's Africa! 


Africa on one side ... Europe on the other ... 




So the walk down probably took a good hour or hour and a half but, it was our best shot to hang out with the monkeys. It was fun to walk down but, I sure was worn out at the bottom (I had sprained my ankle earlier that morning at the beach and it wasn't exactly a fun walk down...) but it was worth it for the views ... and the monkeys. 





This little monkey was ADORABLE. Seriously, I wanted to take him home. He was super friendly and at one point, grabbed my arm and climbed up me. Then, he was right by Brad and had a blast playing with the camera strap. Kason was a little nervous around the monkeys so he stayed back but, Brad and I were loving the cute little monkeys. 







As we were leaving, Brad went to walk up to the little monkey to say "see ya later!" and his mom hissed at Brad, then she turned to her baby and scolded him. Hilarious. She was not a happy mom. 



This monkey avoided my camera for a long time ... but right before we left, he gave in and let me get a picture of him. 


We finally made it to the bottom and we were able to find a fun little British Pub with live music playing. The food made us all sick but, the experience was great! (ha!) 




So, in Gibraltar their airport goes straight across the island as in ... you walk ACROSS the landing strip when you walk into Gibraltar. Weirdest city ever. 


Friday we spent the whole day at the beach and then splurged on a delicious dinner on the beach that night ... except they never ordered my plate for me so, I ended up eating pizza with Kason and then an overpriced ice cream for dessert. Whatever - it's all about the experience right? 



And those ... are the last pictures taken in Spain. We all sunk into a slight depression after we headed home. Best family trip EVER. Seriously. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, thank you (yet again) for the fantastic 'proxy' trip to Gibraltar and Spain. Beautiful photographs! When are you coming to Idaho to take my family's pictures? What? Idaho doesn't sound exciting after all of your adventures??! Pish-posh. So when is dear Brad leaving and for how long? We are thinking of you guys! Love ya:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had such an amazing family trip! And look at those pictures! Love that sunset one with the boats. Gorg. The monkeys are too funny. I had never heard that specifically about the plastic bags. Smart cookies, those monkeys. And you look like a total babe in that outfit with the pink shirt!

    ReplyDelete