Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cultural Difference: Nummer eins

*Swimming Pools*

So, we live about 30 seconds from the swimming pool here (or: schwimmbad) so I told Kason I would take him. Since the sun was shining today, I decided it would be a good day to try it out. We walked up there and paid a whole 2,50 euro to get it. The grounds of this pool are HUGE, there are grassy areas all over, one Olympic sized pool and a kid pool with a couple slides. They have a snack bar and playground as well. 

We get to the kiddie pool and find a spot to sit. As I'm walking up to the pool I realize, there are zero lifeguards here. I saw one as we were walking in but, he was only paying attention to the equipment, not the swimmers! Not that it's a huge problem except for the fact that you have 3 year old's running around without parents anywhere near them. Maybe I am just a paranoid mom?

Well, we got to get in the pool and there are no chemicals in it. It doesn't smell like chlorine at all. The floor of the pool is metal so, when you get out of the pool, you smell like metal water. (kinda gross) I missed the smell of chlorine and the sound of lifeguard whistles blowing. But, we got in the pool for a bit before Kason wanted to try the slide.

At the slide, there was, yet again, not a lifeguard and the rules said, "children 0-6: not allowed" well ... I saw a couple little boys who had to have been 3, possibly 4 who were going down it without parents so, I asked Kason if he still wanted to go. (Besides, there was no lifeguard to regulate! why not!? ha!) He climbed up and went down the slide and then we swam for a bit more before he got too cold (the water was freezing). Then we headed home. 

It was just an interesting swimming experience. I am so used to absolute control at the swimming pool with vultures watching your every move and blowing whistles if you don't follow the rules so, to see so  much freedom at a public swimming pool was kind of interesting to me. I am sure we will go back but, maybe I can find some sun tan lotion or something to give me the sense of being back in the states ... 

2 comments:

  1. Well oddly enough, we were just at the Safford pool yesterday with our foreign exchange student from GERMANY...I wonder what she thinks about our pools!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's awesome! I'm glad you guys are having fun!! We miss you lots and lots!!!

    ReplyDelete