Sunday, August 10, 2014

Final Day as a Roman...

Our last full day in Rome, we decided to walk to church. We looked on the map and it really didn't look very far so, we headed out, thinking it would only take 30 minutes or so. But, as we walked and walked...and walked, we realized it was a lot further than we thought it was. But, it was too late to stop then! After what seemed like a hundred right and left turns and just over an hour of (fast) walking...we came upon the church building!! {hallelujah!} Thankfully for us, they were running on true Mormon time combined with Italian time and they were just starting the meeting, despite us being about 20 minutes late. I love having a church family anywhere in the world! 


It was the cutest branch with so many (American) visitors and probably 3 or 4 sets of missionaries. I always love visiting the church services and getting to talk to the locals and visit with the missionaries. It just makes my heart really happy. Thankfully for us, they had a translator in the ward - that was a first! It was fabulous to know what they were saying. 


We left after sacrament and found the metro. We didn't have many plans for the day so, we just headed back towards the city and then wandered through the city. How fantastic is this building!? Love the red and white, striped window trim. 


We came across this building & while I have no clue what it is - it sure is beautiful! 



Then...we walked around a corner and saw this castle! Holy moly, these views made my heart skip beats! They were breath-taking. Add in the guy playing the guitar and the moment couldn't have been more perfect. I could have sat there for the rest of the day. 








We ended up back by Piazza Navona and on the way we found our new car...and the CUTEST old lady playing the accordion. She was smiling and dancing along as she was playing. Just the cutest. I wish I had gotten a video. I usually don't give money to these guys but, I couldn't help it. She got some spare Jami change. 



While we were in Piazza Navona, our goal was to find Brad an original painting that "spoke to him". We looked up and down the rows of artwork, until we came upon one that was perfect for him. The man who was selling them was the artist and we sat and chatted with him for about 20 minutes. That was another moment that just made me happy. I love the connection we get with people, when we travel. 

Here is Brad with the artist of his artwork: 


After we paid for his painting, we stopped to watch some street act (I think he was a comedian/dancer?). We had been standing there for a couple minutes, surrounded by a lot of humans, when Brad and I both got a very unsettled feeling. We looked at each other a said "We need to get out of here!" When we took a step back, we noticed a couple really sketchy guys wandering through the crowd attempting to pick-pocket the audience as the comedian/dancer distracted them. Gives me the heebie-jeebies and totally reaffirms that those guys work in teams to rob innocent bystanders! Eek! So scary. 

Okay, after we escaped our near-robbing experience, we headed to a bead store that I wanted to check out. I ended up getting some beads to make my own necklaces. This man was very knowledgable and made his own beads right in his shop! 





After I got my beads and we walked around for awhile & I was trying to decide was sort of souvenir I wanted. I decided I wanted to genuine Italian leather wallet. Even after tons of stores, I couldn't find one that I loved...except for a store on the opposite side of the shopping district from where we were. So, my fabulous husband practically ran across town with me to go check out that store (before they closed) and get myself an authentic leather wallet. And I love it. It makes me think of Rome every time I use it! 

After shopping and dinner, Brad wanted his last memories of Rome to be of the ancient Roman ruins so we rode the metro back towards Palatine Hill & the Colosseum. It was so beautiful lit up at night like this! 



Ha! Just Brad posing like a half naked god...



Buona notte, Roma!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment