Sunday, February 23, 2014

American Soil

So, back in September, Brad's younger sister, Erika, got diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). That started the talk of Brad coming home early from deployment so he could go stateside to see if he was a bone marrow match for Erika. By the middle of October we had a Red Cross message, releasing him from Afghanistan and giving him permission to head to America for two weeks. We also found out - he would not being going back to Afghanistan after the two weeks in America. 

Initially, I was upset! I felt like I was getting jipped on our deployment experience. He had only been gone for two months! I had plans! goals! dreams! And they all came to a screaming halt. Don't get me wrong, I was also excited to have him coming home and for a chance to go to America...I was just wishing for a little longer deployment is all. I still miss the deployment vibe sometimes and he's been home for almost 4 months. There's just something this crazy lady loves about them. (So many army wives would punch me in the giblet if they heard me saying that! Ok...moving on.)

Kason knew Brad was coming home but he didn't know the actual date. We had to go to Ramstein to pick him up and I told Kason we were going to pick up a friend whose car had broken down. (He's really gullible!) So, we drove 3 hours to Ramstein, ready to surprise Kason with his dad coming home and his reaction was probably the worst reaction I could imagine. What the heck!? 


I, on the other hand, was pretty excited to see my main squeeze, after a two month hiatus! 



We were only home for a couple days before we left for the States. Getting ready for our trek across the ocean!


We spent about a week in Idaho with Brad's family and the other week was spent in Utah. 

We got to see Ms Erika in the hospital. She's such a trooper and a shining example of strength and optimism during a ridiculously difficult trial. Love this lady!


And we got to me my favorite little nephew for the first time (Erika and Jordan's little boy). We snuggled Mr. Brevik as much as we could in a weeks time...






Kason got to hang out with his favorites ... Ashley & Justin. He was pretty fond of Brevik, too. I'm thinking we need to end this whole "only child" thing, soon! 






Kason hung out with Grandma Jensen while Brad & I went and did a session in the Idaho Falls Temple ... 




We spent a lot of time with family ... but, not enough. We missed them all the moment we left! 


{with Great-Grandma Shirley & Great-Grandpa George}


{with Grandma & Grandpa Jensen}

Kason & Dad hung out with cows ... shot guns, cruised in Dad's jeep & road Great-Grandpa Jensen's horses. Life's good on a farm!!








Wrestling matches were had ... 


So was delicious food ... 

{Texas Roadhouse}
{...on Veteran's Day. *applause for Texas RH*}

{Grandma Jensen's famous waffles ... Brad was on cloud 9! also - doesn't he look great with a babe in arms?}

In Idaho I also got to meet up with my good friend, April. She drove over from the Boise area to meet up for lunch and do a little shopping. I am a little peeved we walked away without a picture together!! But, I did get to see her for a little bit! We also went and visited with our good friend, Janica. I love that she lives in the same town as my in-laws so I am guaranteed to see her on occasion! We had dinner with Brad's Mom and George as well ... but, again for some reason didn't get a picture. That same night Erika got to come home from the hospital!!! {happiness!}

After a week in Idaho we headed down to Utah to see friends and family there. I cried as we pulled away. Living in another country may seem glamorous but, it's rough, folks!

In Utah we ... 

went to a BYU football game!!!! 
(this is happiness for ME!)





{brad, jeremy, taylor christensen, dad davies,
jami, kason, cousin austin, uncle alan}

Left notes for the cleaning staff at the hotel ... okay, Kason did that ...
{it says 'service please'} 


Had lunch with girlfriends ...

{sarah, jenn,
jami, kristin}

Were reminded of the amazing mountain views Utah offers ...
{i miss this view!}


Went to Temple Square with family ... 
{one of my favorite places on earth!}


{thomas & lindsey}




{dad davies, jesse, jami & jeremy}
_ _ _ _ _ 

In Utah we also: 
- happy cried in Target (guilty as charged)
- ate a LOT of yummy food
- had lunch with Dan & Arielle
- shopped ... a lot (a whole lot!)
- went on a double date with Kristin & Mitch to Red Iguana and City Creek
- had an early Thanksgiving dinner with the Davies family
- Brad ate sushi with buddies
- Brad attended a college class that his professor friend was teaching
- remembered how much we all love it there
- bawled when we had to leave (again ... guilty)

I love America. It was SO wonderful to be there for two weeks ... it wasn't long enough!!! 

On the way home we thought we were all settled and ready for the flight when Kason fell asleep. Unfortunately, he woke up about 45 minutes later and I was catching projectile vomit in my hands (just keeping it real, folks) ... he was throwing up every 30 minutes during the flight, the whole walk to the car and half of the drive home. Brad was a champ and did some laundry in the bathroom sink, while I scrubbed the floor with baby wipes. So fun.

The culprit? Food poisoning. 

That flight was definitely one for the record books ... poor kid! 

No comments:

Post a Comment