Thursday, February 28, 2013

Fasching Celebration

In Germany, they have this tradition called, "Fasching Season". I'm not entirely sure what it is, but it has to do with the celebration of Easter (I think) and each area celebrates it differently. Carnivals, Parades, Costumes, lots and lots of drinking ... the works. 

One Sunday, we came home from church, hoping to have a nice relaxing afternoon and we were instead ... greeted with this: 


A block party on our street. It was loud. And it took us a good five minutes to make it up that hill with all the people and floats for the parade. We decided we would celebrate with the Germans (since their music was preventing a peaceful Sunday) so, we headed out with the masses. 

Seriously. It was a block party. My first block party, courtesy of German Fasching Celebration. I like it. 



The parade had all sorts of different groups. Mostly adults dressed up in random costumes, with random floats. Or adults dressed up in costumes, playing in a marching band. I am sure they all had meaning and purpose but, our lack of German skills preventing us from knowing what they were advertising. But, they threw us lots of German candy so, we really didn't care. 

Brad's RCO was actually in the parade. *Go America!*


And of course you can't have a parade without a priest playing the bass drum ... 


Or a cockroach on the Baritone Horn ... 


We had a flashback to the 70s ... 


And of course, it's not a true parade until there's a tractor pulling a trailer. We felt right at home. 


These guys were actually really fun to listen to. They were a piccolo band. I could have listened to them all day. Too bad we got to listen to loud German redo's of American songs instead. 


This float just made me laugh. "Noah's Party Ark"?? Really? 


One last picture for good measure. Even though it was sunny ... it was pretty cold that day. We were happy to see the end of the parade. But, now we can say: We've been to a German Fasching Parade. Check that off my German bucket list! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love Fasching! But I can't believe I haven't seen a Fasching parade! Thanks for letting me live it through you and your cute family! -Apparently, I really love exclamation points! So I use them after every sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need To Increase Your ClickBank Traffic And Commissions?

    Bannerizer makes it easy for you to promote ClickBank products with banners, simply visit Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your selected ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator Tool to promote all of the ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete