Monday, April 22, 2013

Italy: Verona

I never really had a desire to go to Verona but, once we got there, I fell in LOVE with it! After the hustle & bustle of Venice, it was nice to get to Verona where the mood was much more relaxed and easy going. Plus, it's just beautiful. Verona is famously dubbed as the "Romeo & Juliet" city of Italy. When Shakespeare wrote 'Romeo & Juliet' he placed their hometown as Verona. It's very fitting because Verona has a very romantic feel to it. Kason was pretty cute though, he got pretty caught up in the 'Romeo and Juliet' history of Verona. My little romantic ... 

As we got off the train and started walking towards the Bed & Breakfast, we passed an older married couple that had missionary tags. I had Brad chase them down so we could ask them if we were heading in the right direction. We stood and talked to them for a bit. I can't remember their last name but, they were from Montana? Or Wyoming? They were serving there in Verona in the archives, preparing names for indexing! (Mormon terminology overload there!) Their story is adorable, she is an Italian native and he was stationed with the military in Italy so that is where they met years ago. He was baptized in Verona, they met in Italy and got married in Verona, now, they're serving their mission there! How awesome is that?? In todays day and age, I love hearing of successful, happy marriages. And, I love getting to go to another country and randomly running into somebody else who shares the same beliefs as me. Makes me so grateful to be a member of the Church and have that connection with people, anywhere in the world! 

So - after we found our little Bed & Breakfast and got checked in, we headed out to find a restaurant that the couple had suggested. 

Verona = Beautiful. 

Can I just go back and stay? Forever? 

I loved it. 

Brad & Kason did, too. Promise. 


They had a cool arena there and they still use it for concerts & shows today! 


Not sure what these were for, but they were pretty awesome!


I don't think we ever found the restaurant that was suggested to us, but we did find dinner. Then we sat in the city center and enjoyed the night. If I could do this every night for the rest of my life, I would be so content. It would never get old! 


After dinner we wandered through the shopping district. Verona is posh! We're talking Louis Vuitton, Gucci & Versace ... definitely window shopping for me. But, still so fun. We found a gelato stand that was open and just meandered. This piazza was beautiful. 


Saturday morning we headed out into Verona towards the arena ... 


But first, since I didn't get to see many tulips in Amsterdam, I was pretty happy to see some in sunny old Italy. 


Most of the arena was covered by a stage. They were prepping for some sort of performance ... I'm guessing those big giant knights had something to do with that! 




How cute is this old man painting the piazza!? I loved it ... 


Next we headed to the Juliet House. This was Kason's favorite part of the trip. People can still leave notes for Juliet (or an email), like in 'Letters to Juliet'. 

The famous balcony: 



Apparently if you touch her left um ... chest area, you will be blessed with good luck in love. Well, naturally we had to take advantage! Kason didn't dare because, "Mom, we don't touch privates!" (Applause my young pad wan! So proud of that kid.) 


(This picture seriously cracks me up every time I see it! HA!) 



Kason and I went into the museum, they had a bunch of old style dresses and Juliet's bedroom. And you could send an email to Juliet so, Kason sent one. It said, 

"Dear Juliet, 
How did the other families boy get in love with you?

From: Kason"

So cute. Seriously!

Dreaming of my Prince Charming ... 


Stole a kiss! 
(He did this all on his own accord with no coaxing from me at all! Promise, promise. He's a stud.)


I'm not sure what these next few pictures are, let's be honest but, just a little Verona scenery for ya! 





I loved this gate! So much detail ... 


I am a sucker for any city that has a river running through it, maybe that's why I loved Verona so much? We climbed to the top of that hill so we could get a view of the whole city - well worth the journey. In the gardens up there, we ran into some people who saw Kason's BYU shirt and came to ask us if we were from Utah. (They lived in Salt Lake) Small world ... and made me Utah-sick.






Kason told me, "When you take the picture, I am going to pretend that I am falling off the mountain, k?" 

Um .... okay. I guess that partially explains his face? 


In the gardens of the castle, Kason picked some weeds ... er ... flowers for me. Verona really brought out the romantic side of that little guy! 

(Okay, just kidding, he's always this sweet ...) 


This is the Scaligero Bridge. It was originally built back during the 1st Century and was rebuilt, using original materials, after it was destroyed during WWII. When we were there, it had a farmers market of sorts going on. Probably took some of the beauty away from it. 




Then we headed back to grab our stuff and catch the train home. 

But first, we had to get another dose of gelato. 

(How can you not love this kid? So. Dang. Awesome.)


(Side Story: We found those sunglasses for 5 euro from a street vender. Kason had been begging us for sunglasses and we finally found some for a price we were willing to pay. I loved them. He loved them. Then, this past Sunday, we went for a family walk around our little town and somewhere along our walk, he lost them. :( I'm not sure who was more sad, him or me? We back tracked but didn't ever find them. I was just so bummed because they were from ITALY! {probably made in China...but still!} So, that's our sob story ... I'll get over it. Someday! Kason, he's already over it. Ha!)

I loved Verona. I loved Venice, too, but in a different way. Verona was just so ... beautiful and romantic and relaxing!  

2 comments:

  1. You always have to best pictures! And stories! I love romantic Kason and that adorable email he wrote to Juliet. The city-scapes you caught were goooooorgeous. And you guys are awesome to touch the Juliet statue. I stood next to her like Kason. There were so many people around!! Ha ha. So lame. And the sunglasses story makes me so sad! I remember buying some sunglasses in Venice (also 5 euro :) and they didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi you guys! I found your blog when searching for info on Verona. I'm planing on going there in Sept for a 2 weeks Italian course. Do you have any recomm. for me? Restaurants, things to do, places to see etc

    ReplyDelete