Sunday, April 14, 2013

Holland: Keukenhof/Leiden

On our second day in Holland we headed down South to Keukenhof. Keukenhof is something like the third most visited garden in the world. They plant over 7,000,000 flower bulbs each year! (crazy right?). Unfortunately, this year it has been a cold (long, dark, yucky) winter and a majority of the bulbs hadn't even bloomed yet. I was super disappointed but, the gardens were still pretty, just not AS pretty as if it were a bit warmer. We took the train down to Leiden, Netherlands and then headed to Keukenhof. 

See how serious these folks are about their bike riding!? So many bikes! 



Keukenhof Gardens: 



Once inside they had this giant music box that was playing music. It made me feel like I was at Disneyland, then add the awesome bike riding guys and it was perfect! By the way, the weather was beautiful. Seriously. I was soaking up those sun rays! It's kinda pathetic that 45 degrees is warm ... 



I seriously love this kid. He is such a great traveler and makes all these trips so easy on us parents! His attitude is (mostly) positive all the time and he loves traveling. He gets so excited when we start planning trips and talk about the things we will get to see. I sure hope he remembers some of these trips as he grows older and he keeps his love of traveling. 


Even though a majority of the gardens weren't in bloom, there were still little sections that were beautiful and so picturesque. I can only imagine what they look like when they're in full bloom! 



These were Brad's favorite flowers (can I just say how lucky I am to have a husband that enjoys this kind of stuff, he enjoyed the gardens just as much as I did!), I think these were Tiger somethings? Fitting name, I think!


They had these shoes all over the gardens: 


Prepare yourself for a lot of pictures of flowers ... I couldn't help it!



How cute is this lone little red tulip? 


This section was my absolute favorite, the red mixed with the yellow was so beautiful!! 



This was pretty fun but, I couldn't help but wonder how many people fall in the water each year? Ha! 






Because it was still so chilly while we were there, most of the flowers were in the green house. Not ideal, but fine by me. 









(By the look of these pictures, I would say my favorite flowers were red/orange/yellow...)

There was a group of people there wearing traditional Dutch outfits. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a picture with them!


Keukenhof has a windmill in the gardens, too. I was pretty happy to say I've seen a real-live Dutch windmill. I loved it! 




Here is Kason playing on one of the many playgrounds in the park. 


They had this really cool optical illusion thing, we had some fun playing around with some pictures. 




They even have a petting zoo for the kids! Seriously, Keukenhof is so family friendly, we enjoyed every moment of it! Brad was right at home with that calf...





I was SO excited because while we were there, they were having a Gerbera Daisy show. Gerbera Daisies just happen to be my most favorite flower ever. I was pretty stinking excited. 

Our little Beatles drummer...


Brad schooled me on the genetics of creating new flower colors, I don't remember a word he said, but it sure was impressive that he knew all about the chemistry of it. 



Perhaps I should consider becoming a Daisy Princess, eh? 


Kason looks a little uncertain about getting his picture taken ... 


After that we headed back into Leiden. That town is adorable. Cute houses, cute people, cute windmills. It was fun to walk around and see this charming little city. 


Isn't this house adorable!? I can just imagine a cute Dutch lady living here, cooking up a pot of Dutch stew (or whatever it is they eat) and walking to the market each day. I love how crooked it is, and the detail of the window above the door.  




The weekend we were there happened to be "Museum Weekend" so all the museums in the area were either free or only one euro! Such a deal! We were hoping to get back sooner than we did but, we ended up only have about 15 minutes for Kason to see the mummy exhibit at one of the museums (per his request). Not a bad deal for one euro! I have paid more than that to use the bathroom ...

(Kason is pretending to be a mummy...)


As we were walking around, we saw this sundial! I wonder how long its been there? 


We also stumbled across a Domino's Pizza. They know how to deliver pizza in style! And ..... of course we had to get some pizza! It was ever-so-delicious. Besides, for 4,99, how can you pass it up!? 



On the way to the train station to head back to Amsterdam, I saw a little piece of Arizona-home in the window.


In Amsterdam, Brad wanted to buy some (stinky) Dutch cheese so we went to this super cute cheese shop and got some garlic cheese (my pick) and some aged cheese (his pick). The aged cheese was much yummier than the garlic cheese. But first, we had to try some Amsterdam french fries, they have become a sort of staple snack when we travel - did you know that they serve their fries over here with Ketchup and Mayo? They don't mix it together but, it sure is reminiscent of Utah fry sauce! 




That night I really wanted to out and get some night shots of the city. I am by no means great at taking nighttime pictures but, I didn't want to miss the opportunity. My wonderful husband was willing to go out at 9:00 at night, with an exhausted little man so I could get some pictures. There is a street in Amsterdam that lines all their bridges with lights, and that's exactly where we headed!




The canals are definitely more charming than what I could show in these pictures but, they're as good as they're gonna get. 




The next morning, we headed back home. I was actually sad to be leaving Holland. I would go back there in a heartbeat if given the chance. Perhaps, I'll make it back, someday, when all the flowers are in bloom. 

2 comments:

  1. Can I travel with you guys??? For not many flowers being bloomed, you sure got some pretty shots! The optical illusion thing was pretty trippy...I was really trying to figure out how you even did that AND took the picture. This really makes me want to go back! And yes, you should TOTALLY be a daisy princess! How do you even find all of these fun things to do? I love Gerbera daisies, too. And French fries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty flowers, wow!!!! My friend has been living in Holland for 3 years now and just loves it!

    ReplyDelete